Hey everyone, long time no post. Hope you are doing well. I’ve been busy busy getting things arranged in the house and fixing things here and there. I finally got around to getting the cabinets hung in the kitchen. The easiest way I have found to do this is to get a buddy and a 2×4. Screw the 2×4 into the wall at the height you want your cabinets and have your buddy help you hold them up while you screw them into your studs. Of course you must be extra careful to keep your level. I find that if you snap a chalk line at your level it helps when you are mounting them.
I decided to go 2 feet on my cabinets since I had plenty of height in my kitchen. You might find that 16″ is a better height in your space. Aside from that I have been doing some landscaping and unburied a nice stone walk way and go rid of a pseudo compost pile (which I think is starting to rot the wood on the side of my deck #homeownerproblems). I still have to move the small cabinet by the fridge up and move the electrical behind it up as well, then I can run ducting and install the microwave. The dishwasher is one electrical line away from being installed as well. I screwed up and thought it was a plugin microwave but it’s not so I need to get into the wall behind the floor cabinets and wire in a line of BX for the dishwasher. I’m going to end up removing the outlet that is in the backbox and capping the from of it up. Once that happens the only things left to do are:
- Move the natural gas line to where the oven will end up
- Tear down the ceiling in the other half of the kitchen (lathe & plaster)
- Re-route the steam line for the upstairs radiator.
- Run electric for outlets in the 2nd half of the kitchen
- Fix door by mudroom
- Make everything look pretty (drywall, spackle, sand, repeat)
- Fix and restore the wood floor. Tile the mudroom and back half of 2nd kitchen area